With only a week left of Committee hearings for bills in their house of origin, this phase of the Session is rapidly coming to a close. With so many bills coming out of Committee by now, Legislators are now spending hours on the House and Senate floor considering bills on their 2ndand 3rd reading opportunities.
Gaming legislation took over some headlines in Indiana this week as lawmakers seek to find the sweet spot in negotiations. A new casino in Terre Haute would have a significant impact on revenues at Tropicana and for the City of Evansville. Leaders from both organizations are working to mitigate those concerns for our community. Bills impacting this decision will be considered once more in Senate Appropriations next Thursday before going to the Senate floor the following week just before the deadline.
We continue to support efforts for ways the state can follow-up on the successful Regional Cities program by incentivizing investments in redevelopment opportunities and encouraging communities to work together in regional ways. SB 563 is the bill that will be the vehicle for conversation about this going forward. The Tax & Fiscal Committee members heard testimony from economic development leaders about the initial bill and some potential changes to improve it. They will reconsider the bill again this week, make some amendments and move it to the floor for full consideration
Other highlights from your bill report include:
- Rep. Huston’s bill, HB1594, putting some increased legislative review on future public-private partnerships that the IN Finance Authority enters passed out of Committee and will be considered for final approval in the House on Monday.
- The Senate Appropriations committee heard SB 436, the Nurse Licensure Compact bill and added a $25 registration fee for nurses who will work in Indiana as part of the Compact. This fee is minimal enough to be managed, so bill supporters did not object. The bill passed out of Committee and moves to the full Senate.
- Monday, February 18th
- Tuesday, February 19th: Deadline for House bills to pass out of House Committee
- House Ways & Means
- HB1001 Biennial Budget (Huston)
- House Ways & Means
- Thursday, February 21st: Deadline for Senate bills to pass out of Senate Committee
- Monday, February 25th: Deadline for House bills to pass out of the House
- Tuesday, February 26th: Deadline for Senate bills to pass out of the Senate
- Tuesday, March 12th: SW IN Chamber Day at the Statehouse and IN Chamber of Commerce Chamber Day Dinner
** Committee Hearings can be called with just a one-day notice, so schedules change very quickly